Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Chernarus: An original song inspired by DayZ

I've been doing some preliminary work on the soundtrack for my next iOS game lately. One of the things I like to do when starting such a task is to compose a small, unrelated piece to help get my creative juices flowing and blow the cobwebs off all the audio production skills needed to do such a thing, which tend to sit idle between projects.

Back when I was making gaming comedy albums with Yukon, we'd always do a free cover song to help work out the kinks before diving into our own fully-original material. Besides being a lot of fun and serving the aforementioned purpose, these sessions often produced songs that went on to become fan favorites like "Holding out for a Healer" and "I Live to Pwn."

In keeping with that tradition, I decided to pick an upcoming game and make a song that I feel captures the spirit of it and could serve as a title or menu theme.

Having spent so much time with the alpha mod for it over the past several months, "DayZ" seemed like the obvious choice.

Here is the result.



Those of you who've seen my "DayZ" video series on YouTube will no doubt recognize the footage from it and those of you who already follow me on Twitter had a chance to see a work-in-progress version of this a couple weeks ago.

Keep in mind that I am retaining all rights to this song. If you would like to use it in anything or would like to hire me to compose something new, feel free to contact me via e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment