Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Obligatory E3 2013 Post

At this point, there's not a lot for me to add to the deluge of coverage of E3 2013 but as usual, I can still give my take on the things I found interesting enough to write about so far:


The PS4

I'm not in the market for a new video game console but if I were, my money would be on the PS4 at this point. The $399 price, the technical advantages of the hardware over the XBOX ONE and Sony's overall strategy just speak to me more as a gaming enthusiast. It feels like Microsoft is trying to sell me an overpriced television accessory that happens to play games while every move that Sony's made since February screams "We're in this to make great gaming experiences and everything else be damned!" I respect that.




Tom Clancy's The Division

Man, Ubisoft really knows how to roll out new IP. After practically stealing the show last year with "Watch Dogs," I probably shouldn't have been surprised when they dropped this new online, RPG title out of nowhere but I totally was. Now if they'd just announce it for PC. :)




The Crew

I can't be the only one who thinks this could end up being a better "Fast & Furious" game than any of the actual F&F games, right? Really loving the open world, jump-in/jump-out co-op, combat driving and intricate customization aspects being pitched in this game, and thought it demoed very well considering that it's not shipping until early 2014. Definitely excited.




Destiny

I've never been a big "Halo" guy. The reasons for that are kinda personal and not particularly important in this context but it suffices to say that I haven't bought a Bungie game since "Myth III." Consequently, I'm kinda excited for the PC version of "Destiny." There may not be anything particularly innovative or mind-blowing about what I've seen of it so far but it also looks really well made and seems like it could be a lot of fun to play with friends.




Mirror's Edge (Prequel)

Okay. It's no secret that EA is on my naughty list and has been ever since the catastrophe that was "Need for Speed Most Wanted" (2012) but I do love me some "Mirror's Edge" and am definitely interested to see more of this game. Is it enough to make me suffer Origin? Probably not but maybe they'll come to their senses and put this out on Steam. It could happen, right? Right?!?!? Yeah, probably not.




Battlefield 4

I'm not gonna lie. When that tank fell through the floor after the support pillar got blown to hell and when that skyscraper toppled to dust after everybody parachuted out of it during the E3 multiplayer demo for "Battlefield 4," I had a small nerdgasm. Still, the fact remains that I HATE Origin and I HATE Battlelog. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that what I saw of "Battlefield 4" multiplayer at E3 wasn't compelling but I don't know if even that is enough to overcome the seething nerd rage EA consistently manages to inspire in me these days. :)




Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

I still love Assassin's Creed. I know it's become fashionable to hate on it in recent years but I always find the AC games to be fun and engaging experiences. Part of that may be because I tend to play them a while after they're released (patched) and at a much slower pace than anyone playing for review would. I, for example am only a few hours into AC3 as I write this. Maybe the idea of a swashbuckling game with an AC-scale budget is just inherently compelling? Whatever the reason, I'm looking forward to this one.




Those are the things that have jumped out at me so far. I'll probably do another one of these posts later in the week to highlight some more obscure stuff. Obviously, I'm looking forward to seeing any "DayZ" Standalone coverage that comes out of E3 but I'm also hoping to be playing that soon for myself– fingers crossed. :)

1 comment: