Thursday, January 17, 2013

Shout Out: Thomas Was Alone

It's been a while since I've played a game that I would consider charming. I have been stirred or moved by some recent games to be sure. "DayZ," "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" and "Jagged Alliance: Back in Action" sunk their hooks deep into me in 2012 to name a few but while those games are each quite compelling and evocative in their own right, they aren't what I'd consider charming.

For that, a game has to give me something I didn't expect in a way that feels universally positive and that's exactly what "Thomas Was Alone" does.

From its simple yet stylish visuals, to its sublime soundtrack and narration, to its clever and refreshing gameplay– this is a game that begs to be played and enjoyed.

As in any good platformer, obstacles and challenges abound for Thomas and his new-found friends but there is also exploration, discovery and a palpable sense of joy in using the abilities of each character to traverse the game's 100 levels.

Don't be fooled by its apparent simplicity. Visual artistry abounds throughout the game.
It speaks volumes about the magnitude of this game's charm that a collection of simple two-dimensional shapes could exude the level of personality and depth that come across loud and clear while playing through the three to five hours that make up the bulk of the experience.

I really struggle to think of another game since "Portal" that so thoroughly nails the art of merging component parts that are themselves brilliant into a cohesive and triumphant whole without stifling or otherwise ruining any of them.

In short, "Thomas Was Alone" is a must-play game.

One last thing: I wanted to toss a mini shout out to Ohmwrecker (The Masked Gamer)– the YouTuber who first brought this game to my attention.

Thomas Was Alone (via Steam)

No comments:

Post a Comment