Monday, July 9, 2012

Sit Rep 4

heh - Looks like Monday is going to be the day for these. Can't seem to get them done during the weekend. Oh well– moving on...


The DayZ Update

It must be time for a new patch because I'm starting to feel too comfortable with 1.7.1.5. Sure, there are about a million problems with it but being on the same build for a couple weeks has made it a lot easier to work around them. Spent some quality time in Stary Sobor and Novy Sobor this weekend and came away from it re-thinking my approach to the game.

For me, the best, most interesting part of "DayZ" is the survival element. Scavenging, exploring the environment, keeping the infected under control– that sort of thing.

That's not to say that I'm against PvP. I totally get it. It's an exhilarating part of the experience when there's some point to it but a lot of what passes for PvP in "DayZ" is just lame. People shooting unarmed players or shooting each other just because they can.

I understand. Shooting people in the face is fun. I do it all the time myself in other games but I can't help feeling like a lot of the people who are playing "DayZ" are kinda missing the point of it. Where it's at its best; where it really shines is when it shows how much more people can do when they work together and help each other thrive.

Of course, often times this leads to groups of players banding together simply to take advantage of smaller groups and solo players but at least they're experiencing the co-operative aspect of the game. And to be sure, there are such groups that engage other players with an impressive degree of skill and style. See this week's shout out for more on that.

My point is that it would be nice if folks put a little more care into the way they play "DayZ" and put themselves into the mindset of actually being in that situation and thought about what they would really do if they couldn't just re-spawn. But of course, they can re-spawn, so there's nothing for them to lose beyond their gear, which an experienced player can effectively replace in a few hours.

It makes me think. Perhaps you should only be able to have one death per-server, per-month or something like that? Something that gives death a real sting, and perhaps the game should actively mess with people who kill players; spawning more and more-potent zombies around them or de-spawning attractive loot as they approach it. I know Rocket has been experimenting with the humanity system so sub-systems like this might already be in the works but it seems to me like something the game really needs to evolve.



Shout Out: Sacriel

As I mentioned in "The DayZ Update," this week's shout out focuses on a YouTuber who highlights high-level "DayZ" gameplay. There's not a lot more to say about his channel but if you really like PvP in "DayZ" and are looking for some well-done videos on the subject that show just how effective a group of players can be, this guy's stuff is definitely worth a look.

He also has a nice (if slightly outdated) "DayZ Beginner's Guide" video that's a solid starting point for new players and some cool videos for "Battlefield 3" and some other games as well.



Development Update

Unsurprisingly, not a lot of feedback on last week's questions. This re-enforces my long-standing theory that the surest way to not get any feedback on your content is to ask for it. :)

Some of you may be wondering about my own thoughts on those questions, so I'll address them:

I believe in Universal Apps. If I buy an app for the iPhone, I want to be able to use it on my iPad and I want it to make effective use of the characteristics of that device– namely, the larger screen. As a developer, I am acutely aware of the extra work this adds to a project but I've always believed that it's time well spent and something that consumers appriciate even if they're not able to take advantage of it at the time of purchase.

I'm a fan of the "Apple TV." I think there's a tremendous potential for that device to be used in conjunction with other iOS devices beyond the basic connectivity already established via "Home Sharing" and "AirPlay." Will my game support the "Apple TV?" Perhaps. It's one of the features that's currently on the bubble that I may need to cut to get the project wrapped up in a reasonable amount of time but I'm definitely interested in doing more with "Apple TV" and there's always the possibility of a post-launch update for it.

Multiplayer is something I wrestle with when it comes to iOS development. On one hand, I like the idea of providing a wide array of real-time multiplayer modes that involve multiple devices on the same network or communicating with each other via "Game Center," but I hesitate to invest a lot of time in features that might not see a lot of use from the average player. With things like leaderboards and achievements to stimulate competition and provide goals to players, how important is full-blown multiplayer in a mobile, turn-based strategy game? For example, I love co-op gameplay as a general rule but is this the right project for it? I believe it might be but again, can I get it implemented in time and what might I have to sacrifice to do so?

These are the sorts of questions and dilemmas developers face all the time and inevitably we all have to come to our own conclusions about them but I thought you might enjoy getting some insight into that process and having the opportunity to voice your own opinions about it.

Powergrids - (My current iOS game.)



That's it for this week. I've got something (hopefully) interesting and cool lined up for next week's shout out, so look forward to that! :) Have a good week folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment