Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Change in Focus

These past few months have been a lot of fun.

I've really enjoyed doing more consistent and elaborate posts for the blog and getting back into working with video and streaming as it's been a few years since I've had the chance to do that sort of thing.

As fun as all that's been, I have to face up to a simple reality, which is that this blog doesn't generate enough traffic versus the amount of effort I've been putting into it. Viewership has been on a steady decline over the past month and is rapidly approaching the trickle it was before the explosion that prompted me to expand the blog's content back in June.

To some extent, this was a predictable thing. After all, we have officially crossed over into holiday game release season and the vast majority of gamers are too busy playing the slew of new titles being released each week to read about or watch someone else play and talk about them.

This is of course a good thing for the gaming community but it also means that it makes less and less sense for me to spend the limited free time I have updating a blog that relatively few people are interested in reading right now.

I've been following the video game industry for many years and I've learned a lot about the ebb and flow of it as a result. It's for this reason that I've decided to back off on updating the blog for a while.

If this were a site about "reviewing" games, that would be crazy talk as this is prime time for such outlets but as I've been saying for a while now, this blog is about sharing my personal experiences with games and featuring games that in my opinion haven't gotten their due.

There's an ideal time for the sort of content I create and this is not it. Consequently, I will focus my attention on other projects until I feel it makes sense to return to this one.

That doesn't mean that I won't be posting anything new here over the next few months but posts will be less frequent and predictable as was the case before the whole "DayZ" phenomenon started.

I'm also going to stop streaming on Twitch.tv for similar reasons. I have some ideas about how that platform could be used to make some truly amazing content but the amount of work involved would simply be too much for me to attempt it right now.

Sorry if this is all coming across as a bit grim. I guess it is. If I had my way, I would spend a lot more time creating free content for you all and I would constantly work to improve the quality of that content but the simple truth is that I can't make that work financially with viewership this low.

Thanks to everyone who's been visiting the blog– especially those of you who were here before "DayZ." You folks are a big part of the reason why I do this sort of thing when I can.

As always, if you want to keep up on what I'm doing, Twitter is the place for that. If I do a blog post or a livestream or a YouTube video or anything else of note, it will always be announced there.

For those of you who are totally bummed out right now, there almost certainly will be a blog post next week as I already had something planned before I made this decision, so look forward to that. :)

Until next time, have a good one folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment